Tuesday 1 November 2011

Year 10 Unit 1: Lesson 11 November 1 2011

Today we were granted an extension for our Criterion A presentation. Because of this, Ms Rosati taught us more on what a documentary is and what is Film Sound and the different types of it. Most of these were re-caps of last year's work especially with diegetic and non-diegetic sound. The one I really found interesting and captured my attention the most was the foley sound. This is the act of recreating sound effects but not using the actual thing. I remember when I was 11 and watching the Academy Awards, the group/movie that won the best sound was from their foley sound. I can't quite recall what movie it was but I also remember that there was one scene where they had people tracking through the forests and the sound was actually from foley artists stepping on salad and lettuce leaves. I realized that these tasks aren't as easy as they look because they have to acquire the right sound to put forward the right emotion. 


Then we learnt about the different types of documentaries such as poetic, expository, participatory, performative etc. I've learnt that not all documentaries fall into one exact theme, but can include many elements of it. 


Overall, I thought this lesson really helped me understand more about sound design and it made me think how we could incorporate it into our documentary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment